Upcoming Webinars: Apartment Thought Leadership Webinar Series:
Check back later for future Apartment Thought Leadership webinars!
Previous Webinars: Apartment Thought Leadership Webinar Series:
- What happens to apartment rents and vacancies in an economic downturn?
- What should a developer who is currently under-construction do right now?
- The one thing you should change about how you lease apartments to maintain your current NOI.
- What are the opportunities and dangers for apartment investors during this time?
Learn actionable items to collect rents in a COVID-19 environment!
- Discussion points in negotiating strategies with your tenant if they can’t pay their rent.
- What documentation would be prudent to use for non-payment of rent?
- What will happen to: Rents, Cap Rates, and Transaction Volume
- Answering your questions.
As April 1st approaches, landlords are getting ready for an uncertain rent collection. This webinar will recap how you prepare for that time and give you some suggestions on the next steps with lenders.
This is a preliminary session only, things will become more clear after the first week in April.
- By April 3rd, we will have an idea of how many tenants did and did not pay their rent after the first month impacted by COVID-19. We will share our findings in this webinar, allowing you to benchmark your results to other landlords.
- We are going to review a template telephone script as a guideline to your rent-collection discussions with tenants.
- We will provide actionable strategies to maximize rental payments now and in upcoming months.
- We will guide you in setting up a payment plan to catch up on unpaid rents.
- How many tenants paid rent April 1st? Our detailed analysis of our cross-Canada survey.
- What to do to collect rent from tenants who didn’t pay: We have the resources and advice.
- How to talk to your lender: Use our study data and resources to talk to your lender about your plan to stabilize your NOI.
- Actionable strategies to improve May 1st Rent Collection.
- Better feedback from April 1st rent collection across Canada (generally good news).
- If we’re heading into a recession, what happens to rents and vacancies?
- How to batten down the hatches and what not to do in a recession.
- What happens when immigration drops, cap rates change, and lenders become mean?
In addition to the CMHC lending changes, we’ve had hundreds of discussions with apartment owners, developers, and influencers across North America. We’re going to give you the download on what everyone is thinking.
The 10 Key Takeaways from the Last 10 Weeks:
What does the new CMHC lending policy mean for you?
Apartment valuations and transactions
Rent collection for May & June
Vacancies and rent concessions update
Insight from the apartment fraternity
Webinars 9 & 10
This is your chance to learn how to get started in the world of affordable housing. Don’t let it slip away! We’re going to equip you with all the knowledge you need to take advantage of this unique asset class.
We’ve put together a two-part webinar series that gives you a deep dive into:
- The history of affordable housing policies in Canada – and the buildings that came out of them;
- The current affordable housing programs: federally, provincially, and municipally – and how to make them work for your development;
- Making the decision to build conventional apartments versus affordable housing and building this into your proforma;
- Operating and leasing considerations: What changes?
– Strategies to renovate and reposition apartments on turnover.
– What happens to vacancies in a recession and how do they unfold?
– Which rents (A, B, and C class / downtown, suburban, and tertiary markets) get affected and when?
– How do you outperform a changing market with critical pricing decisions on revenue management?
– How to fight concessions.
– Marketing strategies: internet, signage, and resident referral.
– Actionable steps to pursue if the economy deteriorates further.
– Hiring and training future and existing frontline staff on:
o How to sell based on value, not price.
o Professionally responding to internet and telephone leads.
o The perfect apartment tour.
o Capturing commitment and overcoming objections.
o Marketing for frontline staff.
o Aligning the frontline staff’s goals with the owner’s objectives.
1. What’s happening with Cap Rates?
- Cap Rates before and after the COVID shutdown
- Transaction volumes
- Apartment cap rates by asset class: What’s compressed? What’s expanded?
2. What’s happening with vacancies and rent levels?
- Where are vacancies increasing and decreasing?
- Making critical pricing decisions in a changing market
- Strategies to recession-proof your apartment income
- How are today’s renters thinking?
3. The big surprise: The update in new apartment construction.
- Everyone’s looking for a safe harbour in a storm
- Who’s building and why are they building?
- Business is booming, but everyone’s being more cautious
Other SVN Rock Advisors Webinars:
→ The Future Commercial Real Estate Broker – June 16, 2020
→ Purpose-Built Apartment Development Trends – Jan 23, 2019
→ The 10 Hardest Questions Apartment Developers Must Ask – Sept 19, 2018
→ New Apartment Construction From Start to Finish – May 23, 2018
→ Kickoff 2018 New Apartment Development Webinar – Jan 24, 2018